Monday, June 21, 2010

Unwelcome Display

People are strange. I work in Customer Service and should know. Just when I think I've seen it all, I'll meet a new person or receive a phone call and I laugh. WOW! I thought I had seen it all.

My friend is a teacher and she told me this story,

One of my students stopped coming to school when he turned 18. He didn't call or let the school know, he just stopped coming. His mother came by. We were talking about her son. While talking she began to pull medication bottles out of her purse and line them up on the edge of my desk. She had quite a few and after lining them up, with no transition in the conversation she began to talk about them.

"This is the one I use for..." She went down the line and described them one by one.
"This one doesn't work..."
"This is the one I use when my son is stressing me out. Sometimes I need to take two."

As she neared the end of the medication line-up, she again suddenly switched topics and began telling me about her hernia. Before I could fully grasp what was happening, she was lifting the side of her shirt to show it to me.

"Really," I thought, shaking my head, I couldn't believe she was showing me her hernia. "Why are you showing me this?" I thought. If I had a hernia I certainly wouldn't be showing people. My Grandpa had one and he did the same thing. Seriously though, why would you show someone? If I had a hernia, I would hide it from everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment